Binance is the #1 central crypto exchange in the world. What can Dapp developers learn from them in terms of success? Let us do a deep dive.
Average Monthly Visits: 66.9 million
78.83% users use Desktop
21.17% users use Mobile.
While mobile seems important in the case of a central exchange users prefer to access Binance on Desktop.
Binance doesn’t have a strong US presence. That is dominated by coinbase. It is important to see who is using crypto though outside of the USA and these countries are ideal targets for possible marketing and expansion.
17.01% Organic Search
1.50% Paid Search
1.03% Display Ads
Binance does a bit of everything in terms of its marketing channels. It is super well known so most of its traffic comes directly. You can see that Organic search is also a very good way to gather traffic. I usually see referrals higher than Social but this time there seems to be a lot of social traffic for Binance. I will break some of these down.
77% come from branded keywords such as (Binance or Binance login)
23% come from Non branded keywords.
Organic Search Keywords:
binance login 2.29%
(Japanese lettering for Binance) 1.19%
(Russia lettering for Binance) 1.09%
(Korean lettering for Binance) 0.8%
Some extra keywords: binance futures, binance p2p, btc usdt, binance pay, eth usdt, bitcoin price, btc bnb, sol usdt.
If your website can be multi-language then that is great, especially in the crypto space. You can see Binance gets some traffic just from different languages. Developers could try keyword ranking for other languages or non branded keywords in this case being the crypto paired to usdt.
Top Paid Search Keywords:
Arb token 5%
You should always show up first when someone searches your name. Sometimes scammers will try to bid on your brand keyword and to put theirs on top. I have seen this happen with tronlink.
While Twitter seems to be the home of Crypto, I feel like projects put too much sole emphasis on it for marketing. Youtube allows those to create content that lasts forever. Twitter is for short bursts that get lost eventually. Youtube definitely should be utilized more.
Facebook is surprising as I also feel it is underutilized by a lot of crypto projects. Facebook groups are still used. (WhatApp is also a part of Meta with Instagram included)
This is usually a large proportion of DAPP traffic because its hard for Dapps to market via paid advertising but for a legal entity like Binance this is no problem.
31.37% referrals come from Lottery type industry
21.87% come from investing type industry.
I always see coinmarketcap being one of the top referral sources. Projects really need to get listed there with all their data correctly as it drives a ton of traffic. What is surprising is that Binance gets a lot of traffic from survey/task/offer websites most likely giving away free crypto for users to sign up to Binance.
Google display 6.16%
Propeller Ads 4.86%
Binance main display ad network is Popads and not Google but remember display ads only count for 1.03% of their traffic.
Summary (The juice):
- Optimize for Desktop when it comes to exchanges but I usually see a 50/45% split so do both.
- Focus on these countries as they already know crypto, Turkey, Russia, Vietnam, Argentina, India
- Organic search is vital all projects need to be ranking via SEO for keywords related to your brand and search terms
- Ranked Keywords can include other languages if your dapp can be translated and crypto pairs such as “trx usdt”
- Socials are important, Youtube is #1, Twitter #2, Meta #3. Use them. Focus on Youtube.
- Referrals are a main source of traffic especially for Dapps that can’t advertise. Top referrers can be survey/offering sites or coin market cap/trading view related sites. Get listed everywhere.
- Dapps shouldn’t focus on Display Ads as it is only 1% of traffic. They just don’t work and don’t bring in investors.