Is the hackathon a fair contest?

I would say it’s more than fair.

the hackaton winners did everything without funding of the Hackaton way before the hackaton even went live!

to cry over not having enough funds in order to be succesfull is what cowards do, honestly.
Success is not about having money, fast money is fast in earning and fast in losing.

You basically come into a made nest and have everything set up already for you.
The old projects have been fighting for years and were never funded by anyone.
participating in the hackaton is not for the money mainly but for the publicity, to build a bigger community, to gain traction.

Most projects I see complaining right now are shitty projects on test net trying to get money and vanish again.
better use your time wisely and build instead of complain.
snowflakes are never successfull.

also the judges are not stupid, they consider everything.
it’s not easier at all for a previous winner because they need to come up with new ideas and need to be creative.

and for me personally: if the project sounds good and they can proof they are doing something → I vote for them as I did right now.
and I am 100% sure the rest of the community does so too.

16 Likes

Very good summary :+1:

Unfortunately most people who complain only scratch on the surface and only see the money.

But reality is different and you summarized it perfectly.

8 Likes

I think the Season 2 format is fair and overall is better than season 1.

• In season 2 teams get the money AFTER the work is done, so to participate they need to commit to the development and finalize it, not just present an idea.
  • The community share of the prizes is 1/5 compared to the judge/experts share. I think it’s a good balance between community engagement and having a fair competition
  • On season 1 there were similar discussions, but in the end the judges/experts confirmed almost all the decisions made by the community. This means that the judges opinions and the community ones were very similar
  • The teams that won season 1 that are in good positions also in round 2 have worked hard to innovate and bring new products out. They are not there because of the money they won on season 1.

Tron needs strong projects delivering innovation. But not only that. A good project without a user base has little value, that’s why the community involvement is so important. We cannot punish a project just because it has a nice community.

12 Likes

I’m just wondering how one will think that there will be any community votes happening if some projects don’t engage the community to vote?
People don’t show up out of nowhere.

Those community votes on the forum are also happening because the already «established» projects are bringing the people in and engaging them to vote, be it for themselves or others.

Building a community is also #buidling, and it is not easy. But it is an essential factor of having a project, cause people need to know who you are and see your product. This is a business marketing A-B-C.

Most of the leading and «big» projects are telling people to read up well in the different topics, and base their votes off what projects serves the most appealing products to them.

If somebody do enter the Hackathon based off having a solid and great project, why worry about the community votes? The judges will judge the product itself, and I suppose the project do not target the community prize.
It lies in the name, «community prize».

We’ve seen from the last season that project applied, but never continued building on Tron after and didn’t start building a community around their projects. If you want to win the community, you also have to prove that you’re a solid project that will contribute to the Tron ecosystem, because that is where our common interest is. The community prize should, in my opinion, go to a project with a great product that continue to grow, add to and diversify the Tron ecosystem.

Some of the projects do have larger communities, and for sure have an advantage in terms of spreading the awareness of the voting, but if they do it is because they have worked hard for a long time. Which in my opinion is an even better reason to enter a Hackathon. Should only «newcomers» win and get a privileged kickstart to their projects and the teams that have been building for a long time should just keep working hard not getting any recognition for their contribution to the Tron ecosystem?

I think this Hackathon is as fair as it can be, weighing in both the voice of the community (the people that actually use Tron every day), and the judges vote for the tech, functionality and how they see a project can contribute to the ecosystem.

11 Likes

Thanks! I will say that it definitely can feel like an uphill battle for projects that do not already have funding or such, but the judges select projects based on their potential and proof of concept. As well as the team and ideas behind them, so I agree and think that it’s definitely possible for a smaller project to make a huge run in this hackathon and achieve great things! Competition is great for everyone and makes it so that all projects strive to do better. Just by looking around at many of the great projects around the forum I’ve been inspired to tinker around with systems in my game and improve them further.

Anyways for anyone else reading, check us out! We’re building an amazing pokemon-esque game on the blockchain that we think is going to be an amazing experience for the TRON community :slight_smile: if you like it, dropping us a like or a reply on the post would help us out tremendously!

Here’s our post!

10 Likes

Very well said!! :clap::clap::clap:

Also I checked out your project yesterday, it looks really great! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! We’re glad you think so! Been working super hard on making the best game we possibly can with even more coming soon :muscle:

3 Likes

My 2 cents is that … by next Hackathon you will be an old project :upside_down_face: @Newbie … blockchain is a long term game … let’s focus on the bigger vision of increasing awareness and adoption :relaxed:

7 Likes

“To every disadvantage there is a corresponding advantage.” W. Clement Stone

“I have had all the disadvantages required for success.” Larry Ellison

To me, this is about perception of circumstance and what one decides to do with it.

If you perceive you are at a disadvantage you can decide to quit or you can decide to work smarter and harder (which would give you the mental advantage).

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.” Marcus Aurelius

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.” Epictetus

“The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.” Walt Disney

7 Likes

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. -Babe Ruth

Whatever good things we build end up building us. -Jim Rohn

Belief in oneself is one of the most important bricks in building any successful venture. -Lydia M. Child

6 Likes

Yes that should be taken into consideration :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

good point of view. The rules are the same for the old projects?

1 Like

I love to see other project get the shine they need :rocket: lots of solid projects! Still trying to understand lots of it but im learning!

5 Likes

Definitely not. This hackathon isn’t fair.

1 Like

This is true. It is more difficult for new competitors to win. There might actually be no competition at all.

4 Likes

The thing is either fair or not, Tron what’s its ecosystem to expand, and good projects with good value are what will make that happen. I think it’s fair because the prices are well distributed and if you are serious about your project and building something of value, you do catch some prices one way or another. I personally wish all deserving projects succeed and win something to help them keep working and improving on their ideas

5 Likes

It is like saying let’s not let some countries play in the Olympics because they are rich and that is unfair that those countries have better access to training and resources. This is probably a hot take but competition will lead to better outcomes for the community in general.

6 Likes

why dont you think it is not fair?

5 Likes

the truth is that there is no way for the hackathon to be completely fair to new projects and old ones alike . The old projects have worked very hard to build those strong communities you see now.These communities you see benefit everyone even the new projects, because the members will most likely use your new project.
Also the purpose of every hackathon is to benefit the ecosystem as a whole and i think this hackathon is doing just that as tron is on fire right now.
finally, there are new projects that can do well and win prizes too check out @justrugnft
Justrug is new and currently in 6th position and going higher,try to be like them. :hugs:

9 Likes

I totally agree with you