What does Bitcoin miners really do

Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency that relies on a distributed ledger technology called the blockchain to record and validate transactions. The blockchain is maintained by a network of users called miners, who use powerful computer hardware to perform a computational process called mining.

The mining process is designed to be difficult, so that it requires a significant amount of computational power to solve the mathematical problems that are used to validate transactions and add new blocks to the blockchain. Miners compete to be the first to solve the problem, and the miner who succeeds is rewarded with a certain number of newly minted Bitcoins, as well as any transaction fees that are associated with the transactions included in the block.

The process of mining involves the use of specialized software that connects the miner’s hardware to the Bitcoin network. The software receives a list of unverified transactions, which the miner then groups together into a block. The miner then uses their hardware to perform complex mathematical calculations in order to find a solution to a problem known as a “hash.”

A hash is a digital fingerprint of the block, and it is unique to the specific transactions and data included in the block. In order for a block to be added to the blockchain, the miner must find a solution to the hash that meets certain predetermined criteria. The criteria for a valid hash are based on the current difficulty level of the network, which is adjusted dynamically to ensure that the average time between new blocks is roughly 10 minutes.

Once a miner successfully solves the hash and adds a block to the blockchain, the block is broadcast to the rest of the network for verification. Other miners on the network then check the block to ensure that it is valid, and if it is, they add it to their copy of the blockchain. The miner who added the block is then rewarded with the block reward, which is currently 6.25 Bitcoins, and any transaction fees associated with the transactions included in the block.

In summary, Bitcoin proof of work miners are responsible for validating transactions on the Bitcoin network by using their computational power to solve complex mathematical problems. They compete to be the first to find a solution, and the miner who succeeds is rewarded with newly minted Bitcoins and transaction fees. The process also helps to secure the network by making it difficult for malicious actors to alter past transactions.

9 Likes

Thank you for your post!!

4 Likes

I’m glad you found it useful

In very simple terms, it kinda works like an IOW for using your pc to solve math problems. Is this correct @manfred_jr ?

1 Like

Bitcoin mining can be compared to an IOW (idle on web) process in the sense that it requires a user’s computer hardware to perform a computational process in the background while the user is not actively using the computer. However, the mining process is much more complex and resource-intensive than an IOW process, as it involves solving complex mathematical problems to validate transactions on a decentralized network.

1 Like

This post is really useful :+1:

1 Like

You explained it so well and it’s understandable.

1 Like

Glad you find it useful.

1 Like

Will the mining of bitcoin ever continue to the end. As more blocks are been mined, the difficulty to mine increases and hence needs more computational effort to mine a block compounding with bitcoin halving.

How sustainable is this if later it becomes close to impossible to mine again. Will miners still have the will power to mine???

Bitcoin mining will continue until a maximum of 21 million Bitcoins are mined. As more blocks are mined, the difficulty increases, and halving events reduce block rewards. This ensures controlled supply and scarcity. While challenges arise with increasing difficulty, transaction fees and mining innovations can sustain it. The future depends on Bitcoin’s value, technological advancements, and miners’ dedication to network security.

1 Like

if miners becomes frustrated from these difficulties in mining as times get by, what will become of bitcoin and the crypto space as a whole. at first it was easy to mine bitcoin. an activity anybody at all could engage in. but now u need more computer power to do that and hence the coming together of large coorporations to form pools to mine.

is this model really sustainable???

If miners become frustrated with the increasing mining difficulties, it may lead to centralization risks, affect market volatility, and impact network security. Sustainability depends on addressing these challenges, finding a balance between rewards and fees, and exploring alternative consensus mechanisms like proof-of-stake. Adaptation and innovation will determine the long-term viability of the crypto space.

Are bitcoiners open to the idea of PoS. They want to keep the pure nature of the first crypto ever made. They dont want to adapt :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Bitcoin community generally resists major changes like shifting to PoS. They value Bitcoin’s original design and prioritize preserving the pure nature of the first cryptocurrency. While some discussions on different consensus mechanisms occur, there is limited interest in adopting PoS for Bitcoin itself, and any significant changes would require broad consensus among the community.

I get your laughter bro lol

1 Like

Forgot about this post for a while but with IOW I meant the traditional meaning, not tech related, which is an “I owe you”, a proof of debt you could say X).

Certainly! The term “IOW” has different meanings in different contexts. In tech, it’s related to Input/Output Wait, while traditionally, it stands for “I owe you.” Our previous discussion highlighted Bitcoin’s challenges, PoS transition, and the community’s commitment to preserving its original principles. This showcases the interplay between language and technology in the evolving cryptocurrency landscape. If you have more to discuss, feel free to share!

1 Like