goStables - Decentralized Stablecoins for the Caribbean

Good idea, we have a lot of Ghanaians here and also a lot in crypto.

A question for you please, these stables you are creating can they be used in the real world.

For example, some shops do accept btc usdd, udst, etc so can gGHS be used or it just give you the opportunity to convert the currency to digital?

2 Likes

Yes, they can be used in the real world IF someone chooses to accept it in that context. It will be up to an individual, business choice to do so. This is the same case with any other cryptos and usually is a combination of time, trust, stability and utility to fuel that kind of real world usage.

For instance, USDD will gain trust over time as Its underlying assets (BTC,TRX,USDT,TUSD etc) can be seen onchain. That level of transparency is also present with gStables as anyone can see onchain what happens to the USDD that’s added to the protocol to mint said gStables.

What’s missing from goStables is a third party audit for accelerated trust for those that require this first before they decide to use them but it’s not dependent upon that to be usable. That said, we’re going to require funding to cover such audits on the protocol’s contracts.

These things take time :slight_smile:

1 Like

alright, I asked that because currently our currency is performing poorly against some major currencies so many of us will prefer to use #USDD or the other stable coins than to use our own currency. if it’s for short term, fine (immediate use)

2 Likes

Understandable. Many global currencies are performing poorly due to macro and other factors, which doesn’t really incentivise saving in local currencies but rather fuels selling as there are more opportunities elsewhere…it would take real localised innovations to build a new digital economy that then extends into the real world and thus strengthen a local currency’s value+utility rather than putting the value into another nations’ currency that’s then extracted - offshore by another party…as we’ve seen throughout history…

If the whole world were to jump into only perceived major currencies…at some point even that becomes unsustainable eventually if it is centrally controlled…then where will folks turn to?

Then will be the greater case for crypto majors like BTC etc but also could give rise to greater inequality gaps in the future due to its limited supply that’s already held by “majors” and an increasing population on the planet now and into the future that need to communicate sound value between each other.

Either we kick the bucket down the road to the next generation to fix wholly or we try to build/evolve what we have now, today, for more possibilities of a brighter multi localised future (my personal opinion here)…

Thinking long-term (also a shameless goStables plug), since USDD is backed by crypto majors, and gStables are backed by USDD (as a decentralised middle layer of sorts) then this gives a more democratising effect for global currencies as local gStables are now transiently backed by crypto majors and not directed debt sooner rather than later… there’s alot of implications to this…

1 Like

you are right, frankly speaking some of us want to do away with fiat and use crypto in all things we do.
let’s see if these cbdcs will throw more light on crypto :smile:

1 Like

Hey all, we’ve been busy with both goStables and Sorrel. Here’s a brief update:

A short while ago, the first two gStables were successfully minted on Tron Mainnet! :zap:

first-mint

Proofs:

gTTD

gXCD

Before or by next week, the public Dapp UI will be connected up to these mainnet contracts (for now it is connected to Nile testnet only).

We have updated our docs with the Official contract addresses deployed so far for both Nile and Mainnet -

Further updates will follow as more key progress is made.

Thanks for your support!

2 Likes

Great :clap:t2::clap:t2:thanks for the update

1 Like

Thanks for the update, i hope more stables get minted.
I know your stables will be backed with USDD, ( i stand to be corrected), do you have enough USDD to back all the stables that will be created?

If i am not getting it right, please enlighten me. Thank you

It is a self service process. If someone wants to mint gStables, they must deposit USDD to the swap contract. That’s the only way that new tokens come into existence onchain.

2 Likes

Thats wonderful, i now understand it perfectly.
How is the ratio of USDD calculated. Is it backed on a one to one ratio to the new minted gstable.

I know 1 USD = 11 GHC, so if i back USDD to GHC will it also be on a 1:11 basis

1 Like

Esto está muy bien se consigue que de esta manera siempre la moneda esté cubierta. Buen planteamiento

1 Like

Refer to docs for how the price ratio is calculated -

if 1 USD == 1 USDD then,
if 1 USDD = ~11 GHC then swapping back ~11 GHC will return ~1 USDD (less protocol fee 0.3%)

Consider this live example on mainnet:

Swapping $1 USDD to gTTD at a rate of 6.7604 (subtract protocol fee) = $6.7401 gTTD received

Swapping $6.74012 gTTD to USDD at a rate of 6.7604 (subtract protocol fee) = $0.994 USDD received

///
So, if there is eventually a gGHC existing then it would function like this with its related exchange rate…

1 Like

Thats great, i have read the first doc about how off chain data about price feeds will be obtained and updated every 15 minutes.

Not long ago, about three months, Bank of Ghana was updating the general public on all social media platforms on the current exchange rates.

The rates they gave was different from what google was given, and was also totally different from what the rates the banks in the country were given. This to date has cause alot of negative reactions from the citizenry.

Googles rate was 1 USD: 12.20GHC
Bank of Ghana’s rate was 1 USD: 7.9GHC
General Bank Rate was 1USD: 14GHC

So if you are dealing with such a country are you going to get all these data and strike an average or what??

If you can shed more light i will be very grateful. Thank you

1 Like

Excellent observation! Its important to understand these kinds of implications.

for instance if gGHC/S existed today the rate would have been ~10.785444 (may have changed by the time you click this link) ref: https://api.exchangerate.host/convert?from=USD&to=GHS

In future iterations of our nodes we’ll have to aggregate price data from different trusted sources to provide a better averaged out price onchain.

In a more ideal decentralized scenario, peers from Ghana/anywhere should be able to set up their own nodes to push price data to an aggregator.

Sería importante agregar unos precios correctos y confiables en la cadena, lo que haría mayor crecimiento de usuarios y operaciones.

1 Like

Very true. This is very important. One would also ask the question, which price is True… the one set by Governments, Google, TradingView, MorningStar, International banking APIs, Central Bank data? etc

They all aggregate into each other in some way already and the price data from Exchangerate.host which we use, comes from sources deemed Official (above).

2 Likes

En lo que se refiere al precio tienes razón ¿Cual es el verdadero? Aunque nos pese el más fiable sería el que se marca en los indices de bolsa de monedas internacionales.
Ya que los bancos cada uno emite un precio a su favor.

Hey all,

goStables App UI is now connected up to the Live contracts on Tron Mainnet!

On Mainnet, you can currently use your USDD to mint from a choice of 4 Caribbean based gStables - gTTD, gXCD, gBBD, gJMD

Every on-chain price update per gStable now costs real TRX/energy/bandwidth. As such, we are not going to deploy every gStable just yet.

Its still “early adopter days” for the protocol and many of you will likely not use it, so to conserve our own resources during this current time, additional gStables will be added in the future.

However, we have considered deploying gEUR, gGBP, gCNH sooner - as there is greater crypto adoption in those regions of the world and those that may be more open to using these for eg. onchain forex trading pairs, building new products/services etc

Doing this could potentially help grow our resources to deploy many others going forward while strengthening the overall protocol.

We would like to here from you, of all the currencies in the world, which gStable would you like to see go Live next and why?

Thank you for your support!

3 Likes

On Tron Nile Testnet, there are 15 gStables currently available to play with:

On Tron Mainnet, there are currently 4 gStables live to explore:

3 Likes

Muy buena información, gracias.

1 Like