HackaTRON S3 community topics - $5K in prizes!

Bear market has always proven to be a tough period to get people to build. But that can never serve as a deterrent to keep bringing in new innovations on board.

I will start by answering question one;

Q. What can we do to make HackaTRON S4 better, please state the reasons for your suggestions.

Answer: To make HackaTRON S4 better, these are the key areas i will be looking at.

Firstly, Encouraging community engagement; why am i saying this, most developers in their quest to submit their projects may have overlooked some one or two areas, it is through community engagement, that their attention can be drawn to it.

Example: a project wants to give donor small interest on their donations, but through community engagement, someone proposed that, why don’t you give the interest accrued on my donation to charity, while i take back the actual amount i donated, in this instance the donor loses nothing.
It is only through community engagement that such brilliant ideas can pop up.

Secondly, i think there should be an ideation portal, as PLO Lumumba said and i quote “Those with ideas, have no power and those with power have no ideas” if his quotation is indeed true, why dont we help out these developers. There are some people in the community with great ideas but they are not developers, why dont we create a portal for them where they can propose their ideas, developers will visit these portal, check through the ideas and see if there is something they build around it. I prefer to call it the ideation portal, a place where concepts and ideas are formed.

And lastly, there should be something inspirational about S4 HackaTRON, what are we garnering for, are we eradicating world hunger through blockchain, are we making the earth green again through blockchain, there should be a theme to inspire developers.

Now to the second question:

Q. We can see that although TRON DAO is doing a lot of promotion for S3, and even Devpost is promoting our HackaTRON S3 more often, it is getting harder to attract developers to join during a crypto bear market. What out-of-the-box idea do you have to attract more developers to S4?

Alot of promotions is being done, that is for sure, but why are we not reaching our target audience this bring me to the point of Marketing Strategies, if twitter is the place where we thought we can get developers, lets add others areas too like facebook, tiktok, Snapchat etc lets widen our net and in this case we can catch more fish.

Secondly, i will consider getting partners and sponsors of great reputation that developers recognize and respect, imagine if google and IBM are sponsors and partners of s4. (Just an example) this will spark alot of energy and bring in alot of developers all around the world.

Lastly, we can send mails to different university faculties about HackaTRON s4 and see if deans of these faculties will bring their students on board. Sending a mail to the faculty of computer science in Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology will bring alot of people onboard. After all this platform will give them the opportunity to put their theories to practice.

This is purely my opinion, i know other people might have different opinions. But if you find my opinion offensive in anyway, I apologize!

Thank you :pray:

6 Likes

Also,

Is it fine for members to connect with other creators asking for “You scratch my back & I scratch yours”. Vote exchanging.

Shall this be tracked by messages on the platform?
Or shall it be open and allowed for everyone?

2 Likes

Connection between creators is a good thing if only it will help both projects to grow to benefit the Tron community.

But in the term of “Vote Exchange” is bad, it is on the same level as rigging of elections. And such approaches always impede the growth of all the projects involved.

The best who can deliver is not awarded and the not too good who wont deliver is awarded.

1 Like

Milestone payment is good in one sense and in some other sense not so good.

It is good in the sense that it will easily help the Tron Dao identify the progress of each projects, and also projects knowing what is at stake will do everything in their power to complete and get the reward.

But lets take a project like Palm T from the camp of @justrugnft, (just for example). Let say they win in the NFT section, Palm trees will take like three to four years to mature for you to harvest, so if care is not taken, they would have have to wait quite a long time for some of their milestone to be accomplished. But in the waiting, they will water seedlings, they will do weeding, they will fertilize the crop, all these require money. The inflation in this part of our world is even worst, something that might cost a dollar today, will cost five dollars tomorrow and in the end, the money will depreciate in value.

So let’s consider everything and find a common ground. Thank you

2 Likes

Inflation is a very good point here.

The timeline shall be limited which also keeps the project relevant in this fast changing world.

So, it is better to avoid projects which will mature after 5 years. The encouragement shall be for projects delivering in a year.

To be honest, I invested in TRON a long back but until recently I did not know that it has smart contract capabilities. (Yes, investment was done without much research)
But now when I know about it, I would like to see more dApps being built in the ecosystem to keep the value of native token intact.

2 Likes

I am glad to be able to answer this and contribute to the community.

As I have found the Hackathon S3 has come a long way since the S1 was started and kudos to the team for that.

My suggestion is as follows.

Suggestion 1- Have a greater breakdown of the prizes. Allowing more members to win.

Reason I- Having only large prizes acts as an entry barrier for budding developers. These budding developers if exposed to TRON Community can stick around and build something that is native to TRON.

Reason II- Small prizes can attract more builders expecting that their chance to be rewarded at the end of two months is higher and it will mentally prepare them of being compensated for the time and effort.

Suggestion 2- Run quizzes around TRON & coding challenges during a specific period of the Hackathon.

For example, October 1st to 31st during S3. Prizes could be $200 for first 20, $100 for 21-100 & $50 for the next 500.(just an example, pick any number)

Reason I- Who doesn’t like to see them on the leaderboard and the one which keeps changing daily? This will make Forum the most happening place during the Hackathon and more members will be involved.

Reason II- More members will learn about the TRON, and refer to their documents & many among these will stay with the community longer because of the green cause by TRON blockchain.

Suggestion 3- Allow two verticals for the broader prize. One category for projects built before the Hackathon & submitted elsewhere & another category for projects built only during the Hackathon.

Reason I- This will attract true builders to the community. It is very scary to compete with teams that are dedicatedly building year around for TRON. This discourages new builders or those who will be assessed only based on work done during the specified period.

Suggestion 4- Provide differential weightage to the votes.

Reason I- It is very easy to rig the voting process and I have seen many messages being exchanged for vote exchanging.

Reason II- Members with badges of Level 2 & higher have spent more time in the forum and their vote shall be considered equivalent to 5 votes received from Level 1 badge.

For example,

Level 1 badge(basic) - 1 weight Just like mine

Level 2 badge(member) - 5 weight

Level 3 badge(regular) - 10 weight

Level 4 badge(leader) - 15 weight

Happy to discourse around the suggestions.

9 Likes

Just an opinion, dont you think vote weightage will give an undue advantage to projects that have been building all year round for tron. Some projects were here in the season 1, they came back in season two, and the team are back again in season three, because they have spent alot of time on the platform most of them have trust level two. And some of them too has as many as 20 team members.

So in effect, these 20 people in ur example will represent 100 votes. In as much as we want to do away with vote exchange and rigging, giving weight to trust level will do more harm than good to the forum.

Some projects will not present anything better, but because their team members have higher trust levels, they will win regardless.

What do you think?

4 Likes

So 5 is just an indicative number, it can be 2 as well.
It can be decided based on the total members available on the platform.

Right now, I see a storm of badge 1 members coming into the forum and most of them are here to vote for the pre-decided project.

Also, I suppose only 40 badges are issued for members and I hope these are genuine TRON contributors so they can be given some advantage.

If they have launched a product on TRON, they will have incentive to see the ecosystem grow.

3 Likes

Ur points are very much valid. I know most people are coming in from all angles with a premeditated agenda to vote for a particular project.

How do we curb this? A very tough question! Every approach has its pros and cons.

We will have to device another means that will be fair to all parties involved. I will sleep over it, and maybe the forces will bring solutions​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

It’s not great to see S2 Devpost winners of big grants still in testnet at this point, while other projects with community prizes were finished and ready for the users before the hackathon period ended.

Anyway, it’s good that you try to keep an eye on them and push them forward.

2 Likes

Same thought.
For example USTX with the T-Boost project for season 3 is already on the main network.
Well done, good job.

2 Likes

@TronLive One thing I feel may need to be looked into is repeat projects constantly entering the hackathon? especially if each time is to show a new project? if they have received rewards they should show work on previous project before entering a new one.

Also a limit on times you can enter the same project and say its been updated as the funds from the first reward are obviously to update the project so that does not grant another hackathon?

4 Likes

That’s a good point.

It will keep the competition fair.

2 Likes

even worse when they submit same project with very very small modification.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how voting works here; I’d appreciate it if someone could share a guide / forum post to help me understand the current voting procedure.

Because I received several messages from other forum users attempting to exchange votes, this is what I would like to suggest in terms of voting system.

I believe a simple solution would be to give every real forum user (who are not bots/fake accounts) 3-5 votes, allowing them to vote in up to 5 hackathons. This will prevent them from voting on only one project, and they will vote on many initiatives.
Bot/fake accounts should be removed/filtered at least a day/hour before voting starts.

• Any account with fewer than 60 minutes of read time.
  • Any account that has not visited the forum for atleast 2-3 days ( Not allowing recently reacted account to vote )
  • Any account with less than 20-40 topics visited ( Which clearly states if the forum user is looking through multiple topics, and is really interested in hackathon )
  • A minimum number of likes given and received ( Likes received is important, and other members should only like their comment if the comment has some value, not just a random word )

This filtering should prevent bogus accounts, and enabling multiple votes (one post one vote) on up to five entries may assist in identifying the top projects this season.

3 Likes

I’m new here, will check out hackathon S2 projects & answer the questions.

1 Like

The hackathon team is currently reviewing new users who might be bots, fake accounts and you are welcome to flag if you find any weird account.

Every voters will have 5 votes per track if it didn’t change. And we will have enough time to vote (see judging/voting period schedule).

After the vote, the Hackathon team will take the time to verify if there is any irregularities and remove fraudulent votes.

7 Likes

The voters can vote up to 5 projects per track. That means they still can chose to vote for only 1 project if they want to.

To be able to vote, users need to reach the trust level 1 (basic badge).

4 Likes

Hahahah thats a real pain. When you win reward, u have to prove that you have really used to perform something substantial, u just dont go and do small polish and bring it back as upgrade.

2 Likes

This is an actual message sent by someone under a particular project. People will do anything to get basic user for the purpose of premeditated voting.

getting a university education recruiter related knowledge and everything make you financially stable this project and you’re going to do well trust me it is very good project and the one that make you very much money have to continue reading this article to get too many many many many of love uses diapers that process that is yet and know that I will help us with this project investors must have for you or we all appreciate every day we have in this community we appreciate you all we really love you all thank you

2 Likes