Escalating Housing Expenses in Africa: A Case Study and Its Influence on Cryptocurrency

Introduction

The dream of owning a home in Africa is slipping away as the costs of foreclosures, mortgages, and the housing market continue to rise. This not only impacts real estate but also influences the cryptocurrency sector. In this piece, we’ll examine the substantial surge in housing expenses in Africa, uncover the driving factors behind this trend, and analyze how it affects the cryptocurrency arena.

The Striking Increase in Housing Expenses

In Africa, to afford an average home in today’s market, potential homebuyers need to earn a significantly higher income than in the past. This trend results from several factors that have redefined housing affordability across the continent. Let’s take a closer look at the numbers:

1. Escalating Income Requirement: Recent data reveals that people in Africa now need a considerably higher annual income to purchase a median-priced home. In 2023, the required income is notably higher than in previous years.

2. Surging Home Prices: One of the primary drivers behind the increase in housing costs is the substantial rise in home prices throughout various regions in Africa. These soaring prices are making homeownership a considerable challenge.

3. Fluctuating Mortgage Rates: The fluctuation of mortgage rates also plays a significant role. Homebuyers in Africa have experienced variations in mortgage rates, which contribute to the overall cost of homeownership.

4. Regional Differences: Just as in the United States, the increasing housing costs in Africa aren’t consistent across the continent. Some cities require prospective homebuyers to earn a substantial income to afford a median-priced home, while other regions remain more affordable.

The Connection Between Housing Costs and Cryptocurrency

The connection between the mounting housing expenses in Africa and the cryptocurrency sector is multifaceted but noteworthy. Here’s how the cryptocurrency arena is influenced:

1. Alternative Investments: As housing affordability dwindles, individuals may turn to alternative investment options. This could lead to an uptick in interest in cryptocurrencies as a means to diversify investment portfolios and shield against rising inflation.

2. Cryptocurrency as a Value Store: Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Tron , BTT and Ethereum are gaining recognition as potential stores of value, akin to traditional investments. This recognition may prompt individuals to consider cryptocurrencies as an alternative to the increasingly competitive housing market.

3. Evolving Cryptocurrency Landscape: The cryptocurrency sector offers fresh investment opportunities and financial services. With the advent of DeFi (Decentralized Finance) and NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens), people in Africa may perceive cryptocurrencies as accessible and potentially profitable investments, especially when compared to the challenging housing market.

Regional Impact: The influence on the African cryptocurrency market can differ based on regional housing affordability. In regions with higher housing costs, cryptocurrencies might appear more appealing as investment options, potentially driving heightened adoption and investment.

Conclusion

Soaring housing costs in Africa present significant hurdles to homeownership and real estate investment. As housing affordability dwindles, people may increasingly explore cryptocurrencies as alternative investment avenues. This trend could contribute to the further integration of cryptocurrencies into the African financial landscape, influencing the growth and development of the cryptocurrency sector on the continent.

4 Likes

Nice points bro.

They have a lot of alternatives to consider including cryptocurrency and we as crypto educators must put in more work. Frankly speaking the risk that comes with crypto investment cannot be compared to housing investment and other investments known by them. Something must be done to make it more secured. Coins like bitcoin ethereum tron are safe to invest in, the risk is only in the platform you will hold these or wallet. That’s my only fear

1 Like

Very interesting to highlight this topic friend. Never thought about the connection between housing prices and cryptocurrency but as time passes and countries and continents begin to except crypto as real value then I hope it will be more easier for my African friends

3 Likes

In Ghana is very affordable to buy your own land and build your own house than to buy already built ones.

The prices associated with these already built ones can build like 4 different houses if you are building it yourself.

Most of these estate houses are pricing in dollars in Ghana. And if you convert it to the Ghanaian cedis u will be shocked.

And it will make you wonder, where do they get their building materials from?

2 Likes

This depends on the location and it’s normal everywhere. A house at Kokoben can’t be the same as the one at Paraku estate. Some of the prices there can build more houses it’s true but this is not news. Rent in New York City can’t be the same as San Francisco. I know a lot of estate developers. Where I am staying that’s what they do, the only thing I hate about them is, they build with rush and you may not get the quality that you need. But the the price they sell them at can’t build two houses at the same place no. I agree maybe different location it can

2 Likes

True, but honestly every investments has it’s downsides like housing for instance when your property is marked for demolition cause it obstructs urban housing plan or when the government tries to repossess your property as theirs cause it’s standing on a natural resource or the case of domestic accident like fire outbreak etc. But the advantage is not being susceptible to volatility, real estate is always an appreciating asset, such as gold.
Nonetheless, thanks for your valuable comment bro.

It sure will, there’s a growing adoption of cryptocurrency here in Nigeria and one of the countries in the hierarchy of the most Bitcoin trades in a year, the future is Africa :earth_africa:

1 Like

This brings me to my conversation with a friend the other day, over-inflation in Africa is just self-inflicted particularly in West Africa. Citizens tie everything to the value of the dollar and deliberately inflate the prices of goods and services like your explanation for instance, if we both get same building materials at low cost from Mr. A for instance, while I build a bungalow and you build series of bungalows, why not make the mortgage or payment plan flexible in relation to your building cost? Hence the problem.

Are water front houses affordable?
Like houses at the beach :parasol_on_ground:

I dont think so bro, there are some sites demand is too high

1 Like

I like the way you think brother feel like Europe is never gonna embrace crypto successfully

1 Like

I feel like everyone around the world is struggling with housing.

Every local can’t afford housing as wages don’t seem to be matching the rising housing costs.

For example, in Canada people make $50,000 CAD on average but houses are $750,000+. During that time you have to rent for $2000/month or share with roommates to keep costs low but it takes forever to afford one. Have to live on rice and beans and have 6 roommates. :laughing:

But I have also seen people moving to different locales and countries while keeping their USA wage.

In terms of Africa it’s probably best to work remotely for an international company than a local company.

2 Likes

I agree with you :100:

I have been saying this but some blacks still do not understand, mostly they listened the blacks who have travelled to europe to make comparison. How many of these blacks abroad own a house there. Working remotely and getting paid in $$ is the best but that too is not easy to get Sir lol. Its like all the big men I know abroad (whites) are complaining but its normal here lol. In Ghana, $100000 can get you a nice house at some place…others will be less and in the big cities some worth 200k 500k+

I know one house around 600k to 700k. he quoted 7.5 million cedis, very close to where i stay

2 Likes

It’s the same down here, the water front houses are super expensive.

2 Likes

European governments are still struggling with super imposing CBDCs on Europeans, Asia for instance is pushing global crypto adoption on all fronts seemingly while The U.S is doing her very best to hamper adoption via The SEC.

1 Like

Remote jobs are really what set most Africans apart from the contemporaries, the wages attached and the annual income is well enough to have a robust investment portfolio.

1 Like